[meteorite-list] Pluto is Now Just a Number: 134340

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 13 13:06:07 2006

Dear Herbert:

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this.

I have known Brian for years and I have a great respect for the work he and
the Minor Planets Center have done and are continuing to do.

However, Brian has been a proponent of demoting Pluto for nearly a decade. By
making Pluto asteroid 10,000, this would have in one way made its demotion
official long before the IAU vote. It was premature then and what they have
done is premature now.

Yes, the Center archives the obsevations, yes, they oversee the numbering and
naming of asteroids and comets (and satellites). However, as Sterling has
pointed out, they do not have any jurisdiction over naming of planets (other
than a provisional number at the time of discovery) and with the IAU vote, it
is not at all clear that they have any jurisdiction over dwarf planets. That
is yet to be determined by one of the IAU commissions.

If we would have followed Brian's suggestion in 1998. That would have
effectively ended the debate right then. Pluto would have been a minor planet,
end of story.

Larry