[meteorite-list] Study: Earthlike planets may be common

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 10 13:33:00 2006

Hi all -

Boy do I feel stupid. I missed last April's Planet V
discussion. Now we can still have nine planets, one
of which, Planet V, is gone, unfortunately.

But then of course this was all bandied about on the
list in the "planet x" discussion several years ago.
I couldn't accept then that the differences seen in
meteorites could be accounted for by McSween's model
of the formation of their parent bodies. I still
can't.

Speaking about data, did you ever notice what NASA
does with data? It isn't just the way they have
thrown away imagery, the crappy crater counts, but the
way they handle meteorites as well. Sample returns
from Mars, when it appears that one could search NWA
for a fraction of the cost, and have fun on the
expeditions as well.

My thinking is that the size of the parent bodies is
indicated in the gravitational precipitation seen in
the meteorite types, and that meteorites showing
impact melts and/or meteories with two distinct
components joined by impact fusion will ultimately
lead to the validation of a good computer model of the
formation of our solar system.

My guess is that at first there was at least one
cometary impactor, then maybe another, related to the
LPBE(s?). The remains of Planet V would have had to
have landed elsewhere as well.

So the answer is "9", not "42".

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/313/5792/1413

http://catdynamics.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_catdynamics_archive.html

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/fifth_planet_020318.html

http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v33n3/dps2001/505.htm