[meteorite-list] Question on new NWA 2828 paleometeorite

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 7 00:08:05 2006

while i have no offical word yet it seems as though the nwa 2828 is the same
material as the 'second lithology' from the E6/7 i bought in tucson (nwa
2965). I recived the material from two seperate dealers and submitted
speicmins of both lithologies to NAU. at first it was asusmed that both the
light colored and dark veined material was the same fall - primarily because
they were aparently recovered from the same site and the diffrence in
lithology was the result of widly differing weathering between the two sorts
of material. Since then I have been contacted by NAU and informed that the
'second lithology' material is infact a totally diffrent enstatite
meterotie.

now this is where things get strange. there is material that exists that
CLEARLY and i mean CLEARLY shows BOTH the light blue occasional chondrule
lithology, AND the dark brown highly veined lithology int he same piece.
Despite the vastly differring apearances of the stones, it is because of
these examples that I thought the finding of the material all being the same
was logical.

so that means there are one or two possibilities now:

there are two totally seperate large enstatite falls recovered in overlaping
strewnfields with SOME of one fall weathered in a way to partially resemble
the other

OR (my current pet theory not supported by any of the science guys) is that
this is all from one big meteorite that is an E3-7

so no offical word either way - but thats my two cents for what it's worth.