[meteorite-list] Pyroxene Crystals in Mike's Patagonian Iron

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 27 16:20:10 2006

In a message dated 10/27/2006 1:20:28 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:
Mike Farmer wrote:

Take a look at this, I got a box full of slices today, and they are simply
breathtaking!
Marlin Cilz told me he has not cut a more beautful iron. What do the list
members think
the large emerald green crystals are? Pyroxene? Every slice seems to have
one or two of
them. The silicated and etch pattern in the silicated area reminds me a lot
of Steinbach.

http://meteoriteguy.com/collection/Patagoniairon.htm

Beautiful crystals, they are! Yes, I think they are pyroxene crystals
(augite), probably
diopside [CaMgSi2O6]. Diopside has been found in these irons: Caddo County,
Four Corners,
Ocotillo, and Udei Station. The most interesting of these with regard to
Mike's iron is
probably Four Corners because of its polycrystallinity, its
silicate-graphite inclusions,
its Neumann bands. Four Corners is anomalous and Mike's iron will surely be
classified
as an anomalous iron, too!

Congratulations!

They have also been found in Saint Aubin, another anomalous iron..
Very few of them, but as green as emeralds!

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com
President, I.M.C.A. Inc.