[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation mechanism (Info Please)

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 25 15:52:15 2006

I suppose you are correct. I suspect the iron flecks
in chondrites must be stellar relics.

The iron is formed in the cores of all stars.
Nuclearly speaking it is the stablest of all elements
(lowest binding energy per neucleon...or is it the
highest, can't remember)
So as a consequence it is the final fusion product in
the cores of all stars which are heavy enough to get
that far (red dwarf stars aren't considered massive
enough to get beyond the helium burning phase).
However, only supernovae spread their innards out at
the end so every atom of iron was created by a
supernova as indeed was every atom that isn't
hydrogen, helium or lithium. All others are created in
stars. However, the atoms higher in the periodic table
cannot be made in stars as they require a net input of
energy to fuse whereas the lighter ones relase energy.
Only in a huge energy surplus can you manufacture
these higher elements. This is where the supernova
comes in. In that brief period where the star
aoutshines an entire galaxy, there is enough excess
energy to create quantities of elements up to Uranium
(and possibly beyond but non of these are stable).
This is a most wonderful process which not only
creates all the elements needed for life but also
seeds the universe with them.
And not a crackpot creationist theory involving
venting asteroids into space in sight.

As for the ages of the iron/nickel. I'm not sure if
ages are measured or if they can be. That'd be
interesting if they could. It's probable that our sun
and solar system are not even second or third
generation. The big stars last only a short period and
there's been a long time for the cycle to repeat a few
times.

Rob McC

http://images.google.ca/images?q=helix+nebula&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1995/44/image/a)

<sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>,meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
> CC: "E.P. Grondine" <epgrondine_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re : [meteorite-list] Chondrule formation
> mechanism (Info Please)
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:15:53 +0000 (GMT)
>
> Hi, all,
>
> I am surprised that nobody evoked the theory
> following which chondrules were
> formed in relatively very few privileged zones of
> space. They would then
> form through one or more impacts of relatively large
> asteroids, onto the
> parent body covered with regoliths (and even with
> megaregoliths).
> The excellent book of Derek Sears, entitled ?The
> origin of chondrules and
> chondrites? (Cambridge Planetary Science, 2004)
> supports this hypothesis. In
> corollary, ordinary chondrites (85% on Earth) would
> be quite rare in cosmos,
> and only few parent bodies would produce chondrites.
>
> Glad to hear some comments on the above assumptions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger Warin

=== message truncated ===