[meteorite-list] Brenham Project

From: Philip mani <manicomfort_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 21 23:36:08 2006

This letter is my first post to the Meteorite List after being a long-time reader. I am the fortunate beneficiary of much recognition from so many of you related to my Brenham Project with Steve Arnold. Thank you for your kind words and encouragements. With this posting, I wanted to publicly recognize certain individuals who are the main contributors, in my opinion, to our most recent expedition and without whose efforts and creativity the wonderful story written by Associated Press would not have been possible.

It was last July when I began conversations with Carolyn Sumners, Director of Astronomy of the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I offered HMNS an opportunity to join Steve and I in Kansas on a meteorite search and recovery project. Mrs. Sumners was excited about the opportunity and asked me what specifically HMNS could contribute as far as unanswered questions about the find. I told her we questioned the timing/age-date assigned to the fall and we wished to try to pin-down its timing. We discussed several methods for age-dating and left her and her experts to further discuss and implement the methods for age-dating. A second question is the direction of the meteorite fall, specifically, its bearing and descent angle. This question is more complex and we felt we needed to gather as much survey information as possible without disturbing the meteorites and the soil around them. At this point, Mrs. Sumners contacted Dr. Essam Heggy with the Lunar Planetary Institute regarding his ground penetrating rada
r work.

I informed Steve and he said he would do his best for the museum. I remained convinced he could find another meteorite.

After all details with the HMNS, LPI, and our landowners were worked out, I contacted our good friend, Darryl Pitt, to assist with all facets for release of information to the public regarding this expedition.

You all know our results.

Steve was able to pull the golden rabbit out of the hat. My sincere appreciation and congratulations to him once again and, if you have seen the strewnfield you understand why. He tells me he feels his ability to do so again from this point on will be less and less. Therefore, our search and recovery efforts for Brenham meteorites is beginning to wind-up.

Carolyn Sumners' group from HMNS included astronomers, geologists, paleontologists and archeologists with long and storied excavation and recovery experiences. It was a joy and a treat to be an observer of their efforts. I am excited for them and their unique meteorite recovery. Good going.

 Dr. Heggy, with LPI, was faced with a substantial change of conditions from those he originally anticipated in the field. Southwest Kansas had received quite a bit of rain and in the last three days, we were in constant heavy drizzle, blown sideways by 20-plus mile an hour winds. If not for the excitement of the project and all involved, it would have been miserable to be in such conditions for the 12 or more hours per day. Dr. Heggy adapted his equipment and techniques and continued to proceed as diligently as the rest of us without becoming discouraged. His efforts too were rewarded.

Finally, but certainly not least, Darryl Pitt single-handedly prepared the initial press release and then he, along with the brilliant efforts of a colleague of his in New York, facilitated the amazing Associated Press story by Roxana Hegeman. Darryl worked closely with Roxana a day or two before Monday's final excavation of the museum's 154-pound pallasite and she was very well prepared for what to expect on the final day. It was only yesterday evening I learned that Roxana's story has enjoyed the widest world-wide distribution of any story ever pertaining to meteorites (with the exception of the announcement of ALH84001). Certainly amazing.

I am grateful to be a part of the Brenham Project. I have learned much more than I ever anticipated being a meteorite collector. This particular chapter of our project was such a treat to watch unfold. I am reminded of Greg's words to the List that this is an awesome story where meteorite hunters, collectors and scientists can join to work together closely in the field using new equipment to make a wonderful meteorite recovery. I am blessed to have participated.

Congratulations to Carolyn Sumners and her HMNS team for their thoughtful work and the additional, continuing work to come both in age-dating the fall and hopefully determining the fall direction and angle.

Great-going Dr. Heggy for your successful use and application of the GPR.

Hats-off to Darryl for facilitating the AP wire story or, as I told him Tuesday morning when I learned it had already been picked up around the world "Wow! Wow! Wow! It's amazing!"

To the List, so long for now. Steve and I are off to write another chapter for the Brenham Project and we intend to make it a good one.

Very truly,

Phil Mani

Philip C. Mani
Attorney at Law
19206 Huebner Road, Suite 202
San Antonio, Texas 78258
(210) 403-9461 Office
(210) 403-9264 Fax
(210) 860-6264 Cell
Confidentiality Notice: This electronic transmission and any attached documents, other writings, or photos are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify sender by return email or fax and destroy the communication. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action concerning the contents of this communication and any attachments by anyone other than the named recipient is strictly prohibited.