[meteorite-list] nearly nailed...

From: Steve Dunklee <sdunklee72520_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 20 00:31:57 2006

Sounds like fun! What made me aware of meteorites in the first place was nearly being nailed. I was driving home from work one evening when I saw a meteorite falling off to my left . I noticed it was no longer moving but just sort of hanging in the air and thought that thing must be coming right toward me. a second later as I ducked down in my seat I had time to think that thing is going to hit me! It screeched by sounding like a cross between a bullet and dipping a red hot bolt in cold water. I sat back up and had to pull off the road, not from being excited but because it left streaks in the dust on my windshield and they were blocking my sight.
      I was so excited I went right home and didn't even look for the meteorite.and I still have not found it after several trips to look for it. I could also kick myself for not taking a photo of the streaks left in the lime dust on my windshield and truck hood.As a further note it was almost dark out but still light enough to see the fall all the way to my truck even though it had stopped flaming.
  Best
  Steve