[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - October 15, 2006

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 16 12:27:38 2006

Ed:
This excerpt was taken from
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc97/pdf/1342.PDF, "Esquel:
Implications for Pallasite Formation Processes Based on the Petrography
of a Large Slab"
by Ulff-Moller, F.
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Ulff-Moller,+F&fullauthor=Ulff-Moller,%20F.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>;
Tran, J.
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Tran,+J&fullauthor=Tran,%20J.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>;
Choi, B.-G.
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Choi,+B&fullauthor=Choi,%20B.-G.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>;
Haag, R.
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Haag,+R&fullauthor=Haag,%20R.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>;
Rubin, A. E.
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Rubin,+A&fullauthor=Rubin,%20A.%20E.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>;
Wasson, J. T., 1997
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/author_form?author=Wasson,+J&fullauthor=Wasson,%20J.%20T.&charset=UTF-8&db_key=AST>

It summarizes how the Esquel parent body may have formed, resulting in a
beautiful meteorite when slabbed. Granted, this is not Krasnojarsk, but
it probably formed in a similar way.

"The largest slab available is that of Esquel
(belonging to Haag); the slab is ~90?36 cm
(surface area ~2900 cm2). Olivine is
volumetrically the most abundant phase;
angular grains range from submillimeter size
to 2.5 cm. Approximately 25 vol.% of the
olivine occurs in compact subrounded to
subangular masses ranging from 3?7 cm to
10?17 cm. The large olivine masses are
transected by thin veins of metallic Fe-Ni;
these veins presumably formed by the high pressure
injection of low-viscosity metal,
probably during an impact event. The large
olivine masses are probably fragments of
much larger (>>1 m) blocks from the mantle.
It seems likely that most of the small olivine
fragments were also produced during the
original crushing event, but we cannot rule
out a role by subsequent events. There are
relatively few olivine grains having sizes <1
mm and these tend to occur together in
patches; these may record late events
because the fine particles produced during
the initial crushing event may have been
consumed during (very limited)
recrystallization. There is no clear-cut
evidence of flow of the metallic liquid based
on the orientations of the individual olivine
grains."