[meteorite-list] First Detailed Pictures of Binary Asteroid Reveal Bizarre System

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 15 20:06:32 2006

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:33:48 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

>Hi Darren:
>
>Yes, you are right, but what do you expect from a reporter!
>
>However, it you look at the animation (and given that it is a binary), you
>can see the wobble of the larger mass as it is being pulled upon by the
>smaller mass and the larger one precesses on its axis (they both precess)
>due to the pull by the smaller mass. So, there is a gravitational effect
>beyond just one orbiting the other.

Anyone have a ballpark on how long a system like that could last? Those tidal
forces must be bleeding off energy from the orbit pretty quickly. I'd think
somebody with better math skills (and supercomputer access) than me could
estimate how long the system could have existed like that, and how long until
the two parts recombine.