[meteorite-list] Meteorite story

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 12:53:09 2006

How about this, from a British tourist who was driving across Arizona
that night:

"We were travelling on our way from Winslow to Holbrook in Arizona on
the Interstate 40 facing the Holbrook direction (I'm afraid I can't be
any more specific than that because as visitors to the USA we were
unfamiliar with the territory). When we first saw it it was in the top
right of the windscreen and disappeared in the middle of the windscreen.
It was travelling quite slowly and must have lasted quite some time
because I had time to wake my son up and for him to see it before it
finally went."

Not many meteors last that long!

BTW, the entire event may have been close to a minute. The longest
camera record was 45 seconds, from Albuquerque. Given local horizons and
blocking objects, it seems the typical observation time for most
witnesses was 20-30 seconds.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory