[meteorite-list] Venus May Have Once Had A Moon

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 12 21:51:54 2006

Hi,

    T. C. van Flandern, 20 years at the Naval Observatory,
is now just plain "Tom" van Flandern, Mayor of a prosperous
little village out in the Nutcake Fringe Suburbs of the Universe:
http://metaresearch.org/home.asp
    Yes, read about the Exploded Planet (it's not uncommon
for planets to explode, he says)! Read why Einstein, Big
Bang Theory, and other scientific myths are so wrongheaded
and confused! Read how gravitons heat up the elysium! And,
of course, there are the obligatory Faces on Mars, Cydonia
Cities...

    "Tom" is brilliant, well-trained, can whop you upside the
head with a metric tensor field fast as can be, and is utterly
wrong-headed... I think. He proposes Lorenzian Relativity
instead of Einsteinian Relativity; he believes in the Luminiferous
Ether, that the asteroid zone came from an exploded planet,
that planets formed by fission from lumps of Sun instead of
accreting (just as the Moon fissioned from the Earth). It's
this last theory that is why he needs Mercury to be an escaped
satellite of Venus, by the way. Oddly, a great many of his
beliefs are the scientific norm for, say, 1898.

    At his best, he bores in on things that are, at least conceptually
and philosophically, sore points. What is the propagation speed
of gravity? And what does that even mean? Spooky "action at
a distance" is still not popular with some, unless you just like
being quantum crazy.
    Classical celestial mechanics, Newton's theory of gravity,
not quantum mechanics, is the source of "spooky action at a
distance." And Newton didn't like his own overwhelming
proof of it one bit: "That one body may act upon another
at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of
any thing else, by and through which their action and force
may be conveyed from one to the other, is to me so great
an absurdity, that I believe no man who has in philosophical
matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it."
Yet, Newton proved it...
    You say you just raised your hand to scratch your head
when you read that? Well, you moved your hand (a mass),
thereby producing a change in your gravitational field. Your
action changes that field, not only in your neighborhood,
but instantaneously throughout the whole universe. The
effect, if detectable, is instantaneously felt on the moon,
on the sun, in every galaxy 10 billion light years away...
Just as one of a pair of spin-linked photons "knows"
if its twin is flipped over, even if it's on the other side
of the Universe, so quantum theory tells us. "Spooky"
hardly covers it.

    Clever arguments for crazy conclusions abound. It's
a condition that people like theoretical celestial dynamicists
(van Flandern, for example) seem have a weakness for,
or a higher risk of catching. It's why I wasn't happy with
dynamicists defining "what is a planet?"

    If you find his paper on Mercury as Venus's satellite,
read it with a double dose of caution.

Sterling K. Webb