[meteorite-list] AD: Meteorites and Books at Ebay

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 11 04:34:51 2006

Hi,

    Got Big Scope Fever? Maybe you'd
just like to try out a Big Scope, or look
through one once in a while. Hmm. Big
scope, huh? How big?

    Well, the original 60 inch at Mount
Wilson is a Public Telescope! "Today
the 60 inch telescope is used for public
outreach. Eyepieces are fitted to its focus
instead of instruments. It is arguably
the largest telescope in the world which
the general public can look through
freely."

    Uhh... They say "freely," not "free;"
$600 for half the night; $1100 for the
whole night --- but you can take up to
24 other people with you at no charge!
Yes, the price is for a group of 25!
That's only $24 per person for a half
night. Now, if you formed a group...

    I can absolutely guarantee you can
see pretty much anything you want to see
using a SIXTY-INCH TELESCOPE!

    Exception for weather, of course...

    See, Walter, it's a truss-type, and it's
almost a Dobsonian, just tilted a little:
http://www.jfmto.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/60inch.htm
Please note that the eyepiece is 4" in
diameter. I think they call that "wide
field," or wide enough to look through
it with both eyes at once.

    At least you don't have to climb to
the top of it:
http://www.chara.gsu.edu/CHARA/MtW/60inVisitorInfo.html

    It wasn't always painted that stylish
blue:
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/images/w60.jpg

    You don't have to have a giant scope to
find things; here's the telescope Herschel
found Uranus with (and lots more):
http://www.astrosurf.com/re/king_124.jpg

    And last, the Ultimate Amateur Telescope
of All Time! Lord Rosse's 120-inch Reflector,
photographed in 1845, just a bit ahead of his
time, but the guy had the best view of a galaxy
until Edwin Hubble went up to Mt. Wilson
and peeked through the great Hooker!
http://www.astrosurf.com/re/king_214.jpg

    And it's almost a Dob...

Sterling K. Webb