[meteorite-list] Collection Label Identity

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 10 12:55:54 2006

Hi Bob
That is a tough one. I can tell you that it is was most probably a mineral collector because of the Dana reference. The Dana reference might also help date it somewhat. That useage went out of style some time in the 1950's or possibly a little earlier. Since Hugoton was found in 1927 and Dana numbers were more popular then I would start my search there. The reason I am giving you these suggestions is the Mineralogical Record has a online label collection archive. It is sorted by name so you will have to look at each one and see if you get lucky. You might start with the M's since the specimen number is M-9.
http://www.minrec.org/labelarchive.asp
HH Nininger is represented if anyone else wants to look.
Since the label is so generic I would not be surprised if it was a mass produced label used by numerous collectors.
One final thought might be to email them for help.
Good luck!
Mike

--
Mike Jensen