[meteorite-list] Beauty and the Beast, Tulia (a) +/- Dimmitt

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:58:33 -0800 (PST)

Hello Geoff, Mark, and all,

I also discussed this topic with Art and thought I'd
add a bit more to the story. Apparently on the
initial Dimmitt stones that Oscar Monnig labeled, the
two letters represented the initials of the person
that he acquired the stone from. Obviously with so
many Dimmitt stones coming in, this system soon became
unworkable. He then went to an increasing letter
system for the stones as they were acquired: A,
B,C...Z, AA, AB....AZ, BA, BB....BZ...etc.

I know that this system was also used for other
meteorites as I have a Kendleton individual with both
an early Monnig number and a Huss number.

Cheers,
Frank

Dimmitt stone #M138.201; #12KI
Kendleton stone #M32.25; #32T