[meteorite-list] Falling stones and birds...

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 8 20:52:09 2006

Hola list,

I have a stupid question for the ornithologists.
Does it happen, that birds are throwing with stones?
At least once per year I get an email from people, who swear to have heard a
stone hitting the roof and rolling down,
recently again and the stone even should have had a red mark, where it hit
the tile. The stones are quite small, often round or egg-shaped.
I remembered an article years ago, reporting that a group of magpies caused
troubles in the Netherlands, frequently damaging parking cars in dropping
stones.
Can this story be true and if so, what are the reasons for such a behaviour?

Martin