[meteorite-list] Brenham Instability Myth

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 7 14:06:17 2006

In a message dated 11/7/2006 9:17:59 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
almitt_at_kconline.com writes:
Hi McCartney,

Your absolutely correct, there are plenty of Brenham specimens that are
stable. I know that there have been some in museums for 70 plus years
that don't appear to have any problems and were probably ones found in
drier areas so they aren't as prone to rust. I am sure they are keeping
it a more environmentally controlled setting compared to most
collectors. A little attention to any meteorite is in order to keep it
preserved.

--AL Mitterling

Yes Brenham can be stable.
Did you take a good look at the Brenham slice in the Nininger Collection on
my website?
_http://www.impactika.com/nininger.htm_
(http://www.impactika.com/nininger.htm)

It was prepared by Nininger some 50 years ago, It was kept in a cardboard
box with the other specimens, the owner used to let his kids take those pieces
to school for Show and Tell, over the years they were handled by dozens of
sweaty, sticky fingers. The only thing I did when I received them is dust them a
 bit.
Still the Brenham shows no rust at all.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com