[meteorite-list] Dho 007

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 7 09:37:43 2006

Hi,
Having just acquired a rather lovely endpiece of Dho 007, I have been poring
thru the various bits of literature (ie MAPS) and web sites.I was wondering
how strong the arguments were for this material to be possibly Mercurian in
origin rather than a Vestoid fragment.
Even in the MAPS article, it states that there was a 2 stage cooling process
 - whereby the slow cooling rate is somewhat equivalent to the mesos and
pallasites, and the fast cooling rate was quicker than other eucrites, which
are Vestoid.

Now, bearing in mind I do not know what I am talking about (I am sure that
is apparent to all), I was trying to think what other evidence would one
need to look for to attribute this meteorite to Mercury or Vesta (ie are
there any relationships with the other possible Mercury candidate NWA 2999?)

Meanwhilst, it is a lovely rock, fascinating under the microscope, and a
good price per gram!

thanks in anticipation for your intelligent input!

best

dave
IMCA #0092
Sec.BIMS