[meteorite-list] Ghubara

From: jbaxter112_at_pol.net <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Nov 6 15:51:56 2006

Hello Berndt and list,

I too would like to come to the defense of Ghubara. I have two beautiful
and fascinating Ghubara slices which show two lithologies and which are
quite stable over several years( though I do store and display my
specimens at a low relative humidity).

It seems that there is considerable heterogenity in most meteorite finds
in terms of stability. I would speculate that a large part of this
variability is due to local variation in exposure to moisture and salts
and to some extent to fracturing of the indiviual specimen which seems to
creat an avenue for the penetration of moisture.Does that make sense?

It seems to me that the gold standard for buying a stable specimen,
especially from a locality that has a reputation for instability, is a
report from a reliable dealer that they have owned the specimen and
observed it to be stable over time.

Cheers,
Jim Baxter