[meteorite-list] Ice Block from Sky Hits Car in UK

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 25 23:54:57 2006

http://www.harboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=760&ArticleID=1396713

Ice block may have fallen from plane toilet

ICE believed to have come from an aircraft's toilet as it flew over
Great Glen hit a woman's car on Saturday.

Harborough Today (United Kingdom)
March 23, 2006

Stephanie Cole (25), a trainee driving instructor, returned home after a
day in Harborough with her mum to find blocks of ice across her drive in
Naseby Way.

It had hit the bonnet of her black Smart Car, causing about ??700 damage
and shattering on the gravel drive and the road.

She said: "We had just been to Harborough and came back to see ice
everywhere. I just thought 'what the hell has happened,' thinking there
had been a snowball fight or something, but there was no snow on the ground.
"Neighbours came over and said 'you'll never guess what has happened.'
They said there had been a loud bang. The only way they could describe
it was it was like a water balloon falling and exploding on the ground."
Stephanie called the nearest airport and Harborough police, who logged
the call but said there wasn't a lot they could do.

The ice is believed to have fallen from a plane thousands of feet up in
the air and plummeted at a tremendous pace.

Karen Ramsey (34), who lives opposite Stephanie, said she was upstairs
at the time. "I heard a noise. It sounded like an explosion. I looked
outside and saw it shattered across the road and path."

East Midlands Airport confirmed an Easyjet plane was in the area at
about 4.30pm when the ice fell. But Sarah Pritchett from Easyjet said
the ice could have come from a plane flying higher or have been caused
by adverse weather conditions.

She added: "EasyJet operates one of the youngest fleets, using the
latest technology which means they are designed to prevent this type of
activity."

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said ice-falls from
aircraft such as this are rare and usually cause little or no damage to
property - however they are all considered seriously.

"When an ice-fall is reported to the CAA with an accurate time and
location, then our Safety Regulation Group will investigate the incident.
"Using replays of air traffic control radar, all the operators of
aircraft in the vicinity at the time of the ice-fall are contacted and
asked to check their aircraft for leaks. Any claims or follow-up legal
action is between the airline and the property owner."

Leaks from toilet systems can occur if there is a fault on the seal at
the point where the hose from the collection vehicle connects with the
aircraft.

A small leak at high altitude will form ice because of the very low
outside temperature.

As the aircraft descends at the end of its journey, the temperature
rises and the ice can detach and fall to the ground.