[meteorite-list] Clear Coat Iron Slices?

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 10:33:11 2006

Hi, Walter,

About a year ago I bought a Dronino that the seller had coated with a
urethane-type substance, and I can tell you that there are a few definite
drawbacks from this procedure:

-Underneath the coating, lawrencite disease has started up and in many
places broken through the seal. I'm sure that it's progress has been slowed
because of the coating, but short of using a harsh chemical to remove the
shell, likely damaging the meteorite in the process, treatment is
impossible.

-The coating has a subtle yellowish hue, and under the microscope it becomes
vey annoying.

-Personally, I find the direct contact with a meteorite aesthetically
pleasing.

Cheers,
Pete