[meteorite-list] An unusual spam post

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 12 15:54:42 2006

That is interesting Ron. I dont know if its somehow
related but I have recently been receiving an
unusually large amount of spam of this sort lately
(Although more often trying to steal ebay or paypal
passwords). I have noticed a HUGE increase the last
couple weeks and am running well over 100 spam
messages a day. Probably a lot more than that. I get
about 25 a day from ebay user precisionlaptops4u
asking for the postage cost to a certain zip code for
example.
On a completely different note one of my customers
told me a month ago that he made a posting to the met
list in november and he was afterwards swamped with a
lot of spam. It might have been coincidental but he
dont post anymore.
You think somebody might be singling out meteorite
people to harass with spam? Thats a very suspicious
list that you have there. However the address on the
list for me is not one that I use to post to the list
so if it is its a list that was put together in a very
time consuming way and not a robot taking emails of
the web. Like somebody took the email of meteorite
related people off websites.
I believe Jim Strope is good at tracing isp codes so
maybe we should ask him if he can trace where the
email actually came from although there are still ways
of faking that. I used to have some extremily good
software for this that would show bounces all over the
world but lost it when I reformated my hard drive
once.
Sincerely
DEAN