[meteorite-list] Monze Meteorite: Behind the Scene Notes

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 15:02:13 2006

Mark B. writes:

<< I have recently communicated with Michael Lambert, son of Hugh Henry John
Lambert, who wrote "The Monze Meteorite" published in The Northern Rhodesia
Journal, Volume I - No. 4 - 1951... ... Slight editing has been done, but it is
pretty much complete as I received it. I am writing the mother, who is still
alive, to see if she has any other insight she might add. >>

Mark, Thank for your original research/perseverance on this important
meteorite, for the additions, and to kindly keep us all apprised of your progress as
you may learn more from the lucid living of this now 56 year old event. The
article you have posted on your website may have suffered a bit in "character
recognition" in more than one way. It left me with doubts my stereotype of
Chief Chongo was with his precise name. Was he Chief Chongo, Chief Congo, or the
Chief of Congo, Chief of the Chongo people or was that a village, region, or
even country name etc.?

This is more than an amusing question for me, because Chief Chongo, in my
book, has related an incredibly detailed and apparently accurate account from his
hut - better than I have come to expect from modern sheriffs and constables
and other authorities in other "less" superstitious countries. The report is
nothing less than amazing. So amazing it is, and not to question the prowess
of the Chief who has earned a first prize - I'd be really curious how much, if
any, the author may have coached the Chief, or taken literary license, etc.,
in capsuling the work originally. I'm betting the Chief was sharp as a tack,
but when bringing the Chief's story to life in one's imagination you have to
recognize its uncanniness.

Anyways, thanks, and for those who want to browse Mark's original
reproduction, here's the link again on his website:
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colmonze.html

Saludos, Doug