AW: [meteorite-list] Collections in MetBase

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 04:28:11 2006

Hello Mike,

You are welcome to send me your collection details. There is no firm criteria as to whether a collection is included in MetBase or not. Naturally, private collections are by far more "dynamic" than institutional. This often causes problems to keep the information up-to-date. I usually don't consider meteorites with total specimen weight less than 1 grams, except for very rare types or low TKWs. Less than 20% of all (700+) collections listed in MetBase are private. This is not surprising, since many private collectors don't publish catalogs or inventory lists or at least don't want to have their collection data disclosed. Further, public repositories holding just a single meteorite (the main mass) are always named in the Meteoritical Bulletins (a prime source of information), whereas private possessors are often undisclosed.

Best regards,

J?rn Koblitz
MetBase editor

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----