AW: [meteorite-list] Poll : Online Encyclopedia of Meteorites

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 19:03:38 2006

> In February David Weir wrote about the MetBase Library and how his
> collection is included in it.
> I was wondering how many private collections are included in MetBase
> and how big it has to be, to be included?

The person to answer this with more competence than me is the author
of MetBase himself, Joern Koblitz (koblitz_at_microfab.de). He probably
is a member of this list and will let you know all the facts in more
detail than I can do here.

But for the sake of a quick late night (local time) answer from
Europe: there is no lower limit for a private collection to be
included, in fact there are many "collections" with only 1 meteorite
in "them" :-). Then again, in my last version of the program I count
236 entries with 10 or more meteorites in the collection, and a new
version seems to be at the doorstep. Joern will add to this, when
he reads it.

As I said in one of my earlier mails, these private collection data
represent nothing but a snapshot in space and time, which is obvious
since we live in an ever changing world - and collector X?s collection
data provided for publication in say 2002 will most probably have
changed by now. But nonetheless you will at least have sort of a good
overview here, and postal addresses of the collectors are included,
which is a value by itself.

> What are the criteria for being included, and how do you get a
> collection included?

Just contact Joern at koblitz_at_microfab.de, and (afaik) sending your
collection summary (meteorite names and weights) will be all that is
needed to get an entry with the next update.

Alex
Berlin/Germany