AW: [meteorite-list] Red Rain From Comets?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 6 17:26:17 2006

Hiho Sterling, Mark, List,

"Blood rain" belong to the broad repertoire of natural phenomenons (comets,
halos, strange clouds, animalic monstrosities, earthquakes, rains of frogs,
corn, sulphur and and and) as bad omens as they were plentifully reported,
printed and spread in somewhat hysterical Europe of the end of 15th century
until Age of Enlightenment.

Here I chose an example analogous to the comet-blood-rain in India, with
some better details :-)
It's from a pamphlet (HAB Wolfenb?ttel. 38.25 Aug. 2?, fol. 802):

"...auch wie zwo Meilwegs von Bamberg in einem Flecken Radelsdorff genant /
di? 1518 Jahrs den 10. Mertz / dreymal Fewr vom Himmel gefallen / H?user
angez?nd / auch ein Weib sampt ihrem Hau? verbrand / vnd zu nacht / ein
Feuriger Besem vnd Stralen / so wol etliche Helleparten vnd Spiesse an den
Wolcken de? Himmels gesehen worden / darau? Blutstropffen gefallen / auch
was sich sonsten zugetragen. Mit consens der Obrigkeit allda beschrieben."

Freely translated:
...also two miles away from Bamberg in a village called Radelsdorf on 10th
of March 1518 felt three times fire from the sky, igniting houses - a woman
was burnt together with her house - and at night fiery besoms and rays, as
well as several halberds and spears were observed at the clouds in the sky,
from which drops of blood felt. And other observations all in agree with the
local officials described.

Wow and here a meteorite shower with blood rain!
(BSB M?nchen. Res/4 p.o.germ. 234,34)
"...inn der Statt Dantzig vnd vmbher / vnd wie ein Fewer wolcken sich / inn
derselbigen Statt hat nider gelassen. Auch wie es Blut geregnet / vnnd Stein
zu f?nff pfunden geworffen / daruon vil Volcks auff den Strassen todt
blieben ist. 1579. jar."

"...in the city of Gdansk (hurry up Mr.Marcin Polandmet!!) and sourroundings
was settling a fiery cloud in that town. Also it rained blood and stones
with a weight of 5 pounds where thrown down, wherefrom a lot of people were
left dead in the streets. AD 1579"

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----