AW: [meteorite-list] meteorites in situ in the desert

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 6 10:12:05 2006

Hi Stan and others,

we do have a number of insitu photographs shown in our expedition journals: http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/libyen2004_fotostory.htm

But if you plan to prospect for meteorites in hot deserts I would recommend to study the morphology of rocks common on your target surface more then the characteristics of meteorites itself. According to our experience finding meteorites on a desert surface is much more a question of distinction than of recognition.

Usually a lot of precious on-site time goes for the acquaintance with the local rock variations. Knowledge of the underlying
stratigraphy is helpful as most surfaces (e.g. the Hammada al Hamra or the Hammada du Dra) resemble a horizontal cut through different layers.

On erosion surfaces, which most of the meteorite aggregation areas are, certain lumps of minerals embedded in the differnt layers weather out of the bedrock and concentrate on the surface. As some of these minerals tend to withstand chemical and mechanical weathering much better then the bedrock itself they will look alien to the unaqquainted eye and call your attention whenever passing one by.

So maybe thats a point you may turn your attention to as well. There is a large number of fine illustrated literature concerning the geology of almost every desert in the world. If you narrow your target destination I may able to point you to more specific literature.

Hope this helps

Svend