[meteorite-list] Hunting hours vs recovery rate

From: wahlperry_at_aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 13:43:22 2006

Hi All,

Have you ever wondered how many hours you must spend before your first
cold find ? Or how many hours after you find a new area with a new
meteorite before your next find?

I would like to say that you will find a meteorite every 40- 50 hours
of searching for cold finds not counting driving or prep time. The only
problem is once you find one you will spend 4-5 days or longer
searching the area looking for the rest of the meteorite or the
continuation of the strewn field. In my own experience in a know
strewnfield ( Gold Basin) I spent 16 hours of hunting plus 6 hours
driving time for my first meteorite. I might have recovered one faster
if it was not for the 10 pounds of meterwrongs I was carrying in my
pockets before I found one.

On some of the new areas I have spent as little as 4 hours before a
new find in a new location. I have also spent weeks before a new find
at 8 to 10 hour days. In a strewnfield that I have been working there
are times were you may not find one for a week and then find one or
two. In one area a friend & I spent 3 days hunting before the frist
find. We spent 2 more days looking for the next find paired to the
first find. We have done 3 more trips to the location for a few more
pieces. Average hunting day 8 hours plus 4-8 hours driving time to get
to location one way.

I would like to say the average time to find a meteorite in a known is
location 2-20 hours. For a new cold find from a area with no finds may
take 50 plus hours of hunting not counting driving or prep time.

I am interested in hearing input from other hunters especially from the
Southwest. I have been asked by some new meteorite hunters what they
can expect before they find their first meteorite.

Thanks,

Sonny