[meteorite-list] strewnfield size vs entry angle

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 10:41:03 2006

It would be difficult to compile such a list. Where a meteorite results from
an object that experiences a single fragmentation event (which presumably
describes most cases), the strewn field is not strongly related to the entry
details, but is instead defined by the wind conditions at the time. After
the fragmentation, the debris is initially stretched out along the axis of
flight, with heavier components carrying further forward. But this forward
momentum is quickly lost, and the pattern can change considerably during
several minutes of cold flight. Tail winds compress the size of the field,
head winds stretch it out, and any wind component at an angle to the entry
path broadens and tilts the field.

Multiple fragmentation events produce multiple strewn fields, although they
may overlap and be recognized only as a single distribution.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com