[meteorite-list] OT: 1859 aurora in HI

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 01:50:25 2006

Hi,

>From the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_Islands

    "The Sandwich Islands was the name given to Hawaii by Captain James Cook
on his discovery of the islands on January 18, 1778. The name was made in
honour of one of his sponsors, John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who was
at the time the First Lord of the Admiralty and Cook's superior officer.
During the late 19th century, the name fell into disuse. The Sandwich
Islands should not be confused with the South Sandwich Islands, an
uninhabited British dependency in the southern Atlantic Ocean."

Sterling K. Webb