[meteorite-list] Largest Crater in the Sahara Desert and LDG

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 4 03:53:39 2006

Hi, Everybody,

    Tektites again, oh, boy!

    The chief reason we don't call LDG tektites is that
workers in the field don't, a question of nomenclature,
but whether it should be changed is another matter.

    LDG was described as early as 1850 by Fresnel.
There is a history of about 100 publications up to
almost a decade ago characterizing them as fulgurites
or a precipitate from a silica-rich sea (silly notion often
applied to tektites; tektites have no OH ions, silly, silly).

    Let's put some numbers on this pig.

    First, LDG is very glassy, with a silicon dioxide content
above 98%, greatly exceeding the usual tektite high glassy
content, even that of moldavites (up to 85%). It's a glass
as pure as many human-made glasses. And some people
have suggested that this factor alone excludes it as a tektite.

    Water Content: LDG 0.055% to 0.166%
    Water Content: Moldavite 0.010% to 0.011%
    (Similar in high silica content, but less variable)
    Water Content: Muong Nong 0.009% to 0.030%
    (Newer, wetter tektite, but a lot drier than LDG)
    Water Content: Bediasite 0.011% to 0.030%
    (Same age roughly, but much, much drier than LDG)
    Water Content: Rio Cuarto Impact Glass 0.115% to 0.129%
    (LDG is wetter than an obviously wet impact glass.)
    Water Content: Nuclear Bomb glasses, as low as 0.007%
    (This rules out those nasty Aliens who built the pyramids
    and went on to star in the STARGATE movie...)
    So, LDG is not anywhere near dry enough to qualify
as a tektite when compared with other similarly aged
tektites (bediasites) or indeed any tektites at all.

    Fluorine/Boron Ratio: Crustal rocks have 5 or 10 times
more fluorine than boron. Tektites should have a ratio of 1.0,
indicating that they were heated to temperatures high enough
to drive off most of the fluorine and leave the two halogens
at identical levels (however low the absolute amount), and indeed
tektites have values that "float" around 1.0 (like 0.8 to 1.2).
The tested LDG F/B ratio is 1.0. Yes, these bad puppies got
really, really hot. They contain baddeleyite derived from zircon
(temperatures well above 1800 C). On this measure, they
could be perfect tektites, but why so wet, pritheee,
why so wet?

    LDG shows a positive excess of Cesium in its series of
rare earth elements, just like the Nubia Sandstone, which is
why that has always been suspected as the source rock. Some
folk have pointed to the very nice match in the platinum group
elements in LDG to that of chondrites as an indicator of the
impactor. The dark inclusions in LDG show higher concentrations
of Fe, Ni, Cr, Ir, Co than the source rock, just like a meteorite.
Or it could just be an odd rock component on the surface. The
variations are quite small and based on hugely vague generalizations
of what "meteorite" composition is. And...

    The whole question of finding traces of impactor in tektites
in one of those still nastily disputed points. Usually, the statement
of "impactor traces" means "elemental or isotopic excesses when
compared to what we think is the source rock," but that means
you are making a circular assumption, which is just substituting one
controversy for another.

    Why doesn't this help? It does nothing to settle the
matter of whether the tektite is derived from the source
rock (terrestrial) or a unique impactor. How do you distinguish
between extra-terrestrial enrichment of the source rock and
an extra-terrestrial impactor of unknown (unique and with high
silica content) origin? If there are craters, there are ALWAYS
impactors, but that isn't the issue.

    As far as actual unaltered remnants of an impactor, the
supposed "iron spherules" (melted but semi-intact) that are
reputed to be found in a very few tektites, there is only one,
yes, just one such result in the many, many tens of thousands
of tektites destructively examined. That is, in itself, a very
suspicious result. For all practical purposes, there are no
direct traces of impactor in tektites. Even the most ardent
impactists do not claim it. Even the compositional argument
is really feeble; most impact theorists dismiss the compositional
biases. (Sorry, Norm.)

    Nor would there be. If you accept the notion that impact
has caused the desiccation of tektites by dissociation of
H2-0 and the loss of (nearly) all H ions, you have temperatures
in excess of 34,000 C., probably up to (Jay Melosh says)
50,000 C. Tell me again how that iron spherule survived?
There would be no surviving "meteoritic grains" or "iron
spherules" at those temperatures! And indeed, there are
no "meteoritic grains" in either tektites or LDG, while
impact glasses are rife with them.

    Lastly, the strewn field. The experts say that no tektite
is found "in situ." I find many different estimates of the
size of the strewn field, ranging from 50x80 km to 150x50 km
in the literature. As for "well-defined," well... What is presently
exposed can be "defined," but that is not a definition of "the"
strewn field. Does anybody believe that the "strewn field" of
bediasites is 5 mi. by 140 mi.? No, that's just the exposure
edge of the strata from which the bediasites are eroding.
Likewise, the Georgia tektites are only found where that strata
is exposed. "The" strewn field must have covered the entire
Eastern United States (and more)! Don't forget the lone
Martha's Vineyard tektite (the Vineyardite?), also part of
the North American strewn field and chemically identical
to the other NA tektites.

    First, the percentage of easily recovered LDG (surface finds)
that has been worked by man is very high. Paleolithic man
picked LDG up, used it, transported it, and then discarded it,
for about 20,000 years. Subsurface chunks weighing 60 pounds
have been found (LDGuong Nongs?).

    The Sahara has only been a desert lately. That's a geologist's
"lately," of course, since the end of the latest glaciation, when it
started to dry up. It's a brand spanking new desert. Before that,
for a long time, it was wet and wooded, rich with game, laced
with hundreds of rivers, swamps and deltas. Even in its last
days, it was a tallgrass prairie until about 3000 years ago,
with many rivers. In the East Sahara, there are Roman grain
farms occupied in 400 AD that are now buried that lie 160
miles into the present Sand Sea.

    This description of the Sahara is very hard to picture if you
go to the present location where the LDG roams, with its
1 mm of rain per year, 58 degree C. temperatures and those
500-foot-high dune fields, but the traces of the former paradise
are everywhere in the Sahara and have been duly charted
by dedicated European geologists who had access to the
Sahara while all of Northern Africa was colonial.

    So, the strewn field has been "churned" by man for
20,000 years, and then blasted and buried by strata-
eating sand storms for 10,000 years, making its footprint
less than perfectly clear. This is true of all tektite strewn
fields. There were elaborate theories about the sectorial
distribution of various types of australites... until other types
were found where they "shouldn't" have been. Ivorites
were only found in a narrow strip on the coast... until they
were found far out in the Atlantic, making the strewn
field 1500 miles wide!. One lone ivorite was recovered in
the SOUTH PACIFIC, off Australia, for godssake!
And, oh, yeah, some australites in Central America...
(Mystery of the antipodal tektites.)

    The BU press release does not give the location
of the Kebira Crater, but the strewn field is centered
on 25.5 degrees North and 25.5 degrees East. Guess
it's time to search the Internet.

    Going to this Terraserver view of the Kebira Crater:
<http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=25.53024396&cpy=24.67255158&res=375&provider_id=350&t=pan&dat=&OL=Off>
You will see the crater at the center of the left edge of the
image, and moving your cursor toward the center of the
upper edge of the image will locate the center of the strewn
field, about 100 km NNE of the crater. (Cursor lat-long
is shown in the dialog box.) Those 500-foot-high parallel
dunes are clearly visible even in the satellite view! Also
visible if you zoom in on the crater are the skeletal rivers,
braided deltas, and wetlands of the Good Old Days.
At impact time (28.5 mya), this area may well have been
very shallowly submerged (like the Fayum). The crater.
is centered on 24.98 degrees North and 24.68 degrees
East. Anyway, this puts the strewn field outside the crater,
a Pro-Tektite Point..

    So, is LDG a tektite? Me, I say, too wet. Would I
buy Semi-Tektite? A Near-Tektite? An Odd Tektite?
 No, I think it is only because the source rock was a
pure sandstone composed almost entirely of silica
that we ended up with a nice transparent and contaminant-
free impact glass that reminds us so much of a yellow
moldavite (found at similar distances from their crater),
that we are misled into regarding LDG as a potential
tektite.

    To me, the interesting point is that the LDG should
be a tektite. IF the naive form of the impact theory is
true, all the conditions have been met. The crater's
big enough (ten times bigger than the ivorites' crater).
They're found at a suitable distance outside the crater,
as far away as moldavites. All the factors required to
produce an unquestioned tektite are in place. They
have a superb match to the source rock, and that
source rock is exactly what impact theorists have
always said it should be, sedimentary. The LDG's
SHOULD BE perfect casebook tektites.

    So, why are they so damn wet? Why are there NO
indications of any aerodynamic modeling features or
traces thereof? (The similar moldavites have fantastic
aerodynamic features.) And why would a "classic"
impact-theory impact fail to produce these two
hallmarks? (Something seriously wrong with the
theory, that's my guess...) This is actually a more
general point: there are lots and lots of impact
craters but very few tektite producing ones; why?

Sterling K. Webb