[meteorite-list] Experiment Update #1

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 3 00:40:22 2006

G?ran & all,

I don't understand the chemistry involved, but I have
personally used a concentrated sodium hydroxide bath
to remove rust from very rusty Campos. It took weeks,
but scales of rust just kept detaching untill the
bottom of the pail was a centimeter deep in rust
flakes. I did do a final treatment with a wire brush,
 but ended with a beautiful metallic specimen. This
treatment wasn't just a rust stopper. It removed rust
in large quantities. The solution didn't discolor as
if iron was being dissolved. Flakes just popped off
and fell to the bottom.

Cheers,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com