[meteorite-list] Uncut NWA's - Does the exterior disclose the interior

From: Walter L. Newton <newtonw2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 11:50:06 2006

It's almost holiday, list folk.

I'll be good today and actually ask a meteorite question instead of playing
devil's advocate about feedback and dealers.

You see a lot of ads for uncut NWA's in bulk lots. I have even purchased a
few of these and I do have fun discovering what may be inside. And I have
even found some with a good amount of visible chondrules, impact features
and one that had an image of The Virgin Mary inside :).

But I have been collecting "things" for a LONG time, and I know, at least in
other hobbies, that bulk items can be cherry picked way before it gets to
you.

Is that the same with uncut bulk lots of meteorites. And if so, how can you
tell from the exterior what might be in the interior.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone would purchase at bulk wholesale
prices and simply pass the items on to a buyer with only a mark up on the
cost without taking a minute to make sure he/she is not passing on the next
Mars visitor. Or...

"Oops, didn't catch those 20 pieces of L3's in my last lot, my bad"

I'm not trying to be smarmy here, but business is business.

So, my main question is this; What can you tell about the possible
composition of a meteorite by looking at the surface?

And I'm not talking about some pieces I've seen where the chondule is
practically poking out on the surface like a wart.

Any help on this?

Walter L. Newton
Golden, Co