[meteorite-list] Mohr's value for stoney meteorites

From: Walter L. Newton <newtonw2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 24 04:07:30 2006

Thanks Doug.

That has to be the most "poetic" description of cutting a rock I have ever
read.

I use a knockoff Chinese blade (at 10.00 each) with has a kerf of .0012 and
water. I was concerned with the blade quality the first time I purchased
one, but over all they seem to hold up well for the price. I can cut
everything from soft opal to rather hard hickoryite to small geodes, and the
blade lasts as long as a 30.00 MK blade.

I don't use a jig/vise, I cut with my hands. Same thing on the
grinder/polisher, I use my hand, no dop sticks.

Your answer certainly covers all bases. It just occurred to me that since I
manage geodes on the 10 blade, then a small NWA should be ok.

I guess the best way to find out is just go ahead and do it.

ONE THOUGHT - Why distilled water? I always use tap.

Walter L. Newton
1400 Utah Street #101
Golden, Co 80401

Home 303-279-3046