AW: [meteorite-list] AD: Excellent Ensisheim slice on eBay

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 20 03:16:11 2006

I agree Martin,

and I already bantered with Herbert, what for a bad timing he demonstrates,
as at the Ensisheim fair we could have sold our Ensisheim specimen for at
least 3 times, although it was more expensive than Herbert's modest reserve
price (which I won't tell).
Btw. before the stone was taken to Colmar young poet laureate Johann
Wolfgang v.Goethe visited the stone hanging in the church of Ensisheim
on his travels through Alsace between 1768-1771 and although he had already
then a weakness for sciences the stone gave reason to him and his fellows to
scoff at the gullibility of people.
Whether he had changed his mind, when he was celebrating his 78th birthday
in 1827 on Elbogen castle, I don't know,
but here we're building the bridge to the first European fall, the Elbogen
iron, felt AD 1400, which has also a lot of stories to tell with it's
different local legends of the stone-hearted Burggrave of Vohburg, its exile
in the font of the castle, mentioned by the Grimm brothers in their
collection of legends, used as printing plate by Widmannstaetter for his
Thompson structures...
and I could imagine, that the picturesque castle of Elbogen, today called
Loket, could rival Ensisheim as a venue for a second fine meteorite fair in
Europe. Perhaps once, if e.g. Sergei Vassiliev and the moldavite fraction
will have some spare time, they could set up such a show?

"It is about the first well
documented fall ever observed."

Uuuuuuuh - I hear Dirk Ross et al. telling, that they never would sign this
sentence, as the stone of Nogata, which felt 631 years earlier, is also well
documented with the exact date noted on it's wooden case, which was proved
by carbon dating to be contemporary.

Buckleboo!
Also a Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----