[meteorite-list] Three New 'Trojan' Asteroids Found Sharing Neptune's Orbit

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 16 04:07:10 2006

Hi, Everybody,

    I think you know I am not too easily boggled (as in
"That's mind-boggling!"), but one sentence in this press
release boggled me: "Evidence suggests that the Neptune
Trojans are more numerous than... the asteroids in the
main belt " MORE Neptune Trojans than Main Belt
Asteroids, Gracie? Did I hear that right?

    My first thought was, "Where you going to put them
all?" and then I realized that if instead of just being in or
along Neptune's orbit, they are scattered all over Neptune's
orbital sphere, why, they would cover the surface of a
sphere with a diameter of 7,500,000,000 miles, and a
sphere with a diameter of 7,500,000,000 miles covers
one heck of a lot of real estate! (Way too many zero's
for this email!) Lots and lots of room to fit those millions
of big rocks into!

    The second realization was that the statement, "The methods
used to observe the asteroids are not sensitive to objects so far
out of tilt with the rest of the solar system" is a complete mouthful
of weasel-words for "We never bothered to point the big tube
in that direction. Doh." If you never point the scope at where
they are, your method is solidly 100% non-sensitive to them!

    Seriously, all searches are restricted to a band within a certain
selected number of degrees of the ecliptic on the assumption
that there are no more highly inclined objects to look for, on
a statistical likelihood. Guess what?

    More Neptune Trojans than Main Belt Asteroids, huh?
Are any of'em as big as Ceres? At closest approach a bright
Ceres-sized asteroid at Neptune's distance would be 535
times dimmer than Ceres is, about magnitude 13, fading
to 15 or 16 at other parts of its orbit, and if it were a
reddened object like so many other outer system objects,
still fainter by another magnitude or so.

    It's well to recall the disputed 2003 EL61, discovered by
Brown with a Big Gun but not announced and by a Spanish
team with a smaller telescope and announced, and verified by
getting a shot of it through a lousy 12-inch scope. Bright as it
was, it should have been discovered long ago but had never
been noticed, because of the fact that it's OUT OF PLANE!
Nobody looked...

    A slew of big bumpers beyond Pluto, some with moons,
and a Planet bigger than Pluto... er, CUSE ME, an "object"
bigger than the Planet Pluto. Now an asteroid belt as big or
bigger than the Main Belt, of probable planetesimals for those
Plutonian Planets I posted so tediously about last year... It's clear:
THE OUTER SYSTEM IS WHERE'S IT'S HAPPENING!

    Been thinking about Migrating to Mars?
    Been saying that someday you're going to get in on the
Mining Boom in the Main Belt?
    Forever threatening to Jump Off for Jupiter?
    Yearning to buy that ticket for the Shuttle to Saturn?

    Forget it! It's a Waste of Time!

    The Outer Outer System is Where It's Happening!

    For further information,
 contact OOSCC (the Outer Outer
System Chamber of Commerce) at
http://sww.ooscc.nep.triton.com/ or
http://sww.ooscc.pl.charon.com/
or visit one of our many entertaining Expo's
on a World or Satellite near you.

Sterling K. Webb