[meteorite-list] Norway meteorite impact site found (NOT)

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:17:15 2006

Hi All,

I'm with Marco, Chris and others on this one: that's not an impact
site. If people are looking for something this large, they'll never
find it. I highly doubt the Norwegian bolide was even as large as a
soccer ball (er, football), in which case it would have hit the ground
at terminal velocity -- far too slow to cause anything more than a
dent in the ground. On hard rock it simply would have bounced, and
possibly broken into smaller pieces.

Finding the meteorite or meteorites is going to take a great deal
of effort -- remember how long it took to find the Neuschwanstein
meteorites? They had the benefit of a very accurate 3-D track and
impact point prediction based on multiple all-sky cameras, but
because of the nature of the terrain where it landed it still
took months to find the first piece. Here, we don't have the
benefit of an accurate track, so the potential impact area covers
thousands of square kilometers. I would say it was completely
hopeless were it not for the existence of the one photograph and
the seismic/sonic recordings.

--Rob