[meteorite-list] Norway Meteorite Impact Site Believed to be Found

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 13 12:23:06 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:52:07 -0700, you wrote:
>wonder just how he picked the 12 kilo number. It is clear that a meteorite
>fell somewhere in the north of Norway, but that is about the extent of it

I'm not even sure if that much is established. I can't read Norse (or whatever
language this page is in) and I'm no seismologist, but it looks like this
reading is of two different frequences recorded at one station, not two stations
(as some have mentioned). And it looks like the 2-4 hertz event took place over
just a few seconds, but the 6-10 hertz event around 2 1/2 minutes and started
before the shorter frequency event. That wouldn't make much sense for a
meteorite hit, I woud think. Could it be that someone saw a bright fireball,
then coincidentally there was a landslide or small quake or something, and that
the two events aren't related?

I"m sure that "siesmiske signaler" has to mean the reading from the seismograph
and the "Norsk lokal tid" must mean "Norse local time", but what the heck does
"lavfrekvent lydsignal" mean?

http://www.astro.uio.no/ita/nyheter/ildkule06/ildkule06.html

http://www.astro.uio.no/ita/nyheter/ildkule06/ARCES.jpg