[meteorite-list] Norway Meteorite Impact Site Believed to be Found

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 13 12:22:29 2006

Hi Sterling-

You are quite mistaken in this regard. Seismic events are routine with
moderate and large fireballs. I've optically recorded five in the last few
years that produced signals on seismometers in northern New Mexico (there
may well be others for which I didn't check). The fireball over the Pacific
Northwest a couple of years ago was actually tracked by its effect on an
array of seismometers. Even sonic booms from airplanes are recorded on
seismometers. The effect of a large mass of air on the ground is
significant.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of any actual impacts producing measurable
seismic signals. It would require extraordinary circumstances for a 1m iron
to reach the ground at anything other than ordinary terminal velocity, and
an ordinary fall will not generate a significant seismic signal unless it
nearly hits the seismometer! And it doesn't make much difference whether
it's iron or stone.

There is nothing about the recorded seismic signal in Norway that makes me
think this was anything other than an ordinary (large) fireball, or that
anything reached the ground with hypersonic velocity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com