[meteorite-list] Holy crap-- can anyone confirm this? Any, vikingson the list?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 11 23:12:09 2006

Hi, Marco,

    I stand corrected on some, argumentative on others.
The track of the Tunguska Object is hotly disputed; the
observations are inconsistent, with a variety of tracks
reported, even S to N. A dispute, like so much
about Tunguska.
    Fred Whipple, way back in the 1950's, suggested
a fragment derived from Comet Encke (said to be the
origin of the beta Taurids) for Tunguska, long before
the existence of beta Taurids were recognized.
    The little map on the aftenposten item shows a
WSW to ENE track, with an azimuth that points
straight at Taurus rising, assuming their track isn't
imaginary, which it well could be.
    Since the text mentions observations in Finnmark
before impact, and Finnmark is hundreds of miles
west of the Reisadalen, that implied it was visible
there first and suggested, wrongly, a west to east
track. Just jumping at conclusions, as I said, knowing
a lot of it would be wrong. Then I saw the aftenposten
item, whatever that means...
    Yes, the beta Taurid stream is broad and diffuse; they
cover the entire Earth. Do we notice more hits in the
northern hemisphere because we live there, because it
has more people, etc.? I empirically count more big
ones in the northern hemisphere but it could be prejudice
or coincidence or just dumb, I'll grant you that.
    The beta Taurid stream is so broad and diffuse that
the radiant is very imprecise. They last for 30 days. The
"stream" has many varied components, is not well
understood nor mapped, and again, disputed. If it
originates with a Proto-Encke body, it is very old, and
consequently evolved and dispersed. And, of course,
that suggested origin is itself disputed. (Isn't everything
that's interesting?) A retrograde sub-stream has been
suggested; again disputed. Napier and Clube attribute
many events to it (very disputed).
    Of course, this Norwegian object, if there really was
a big object, may or may not have been a beta Taurid.
It was a suspicion from the date, as there seems to a
recent trend in potential beta Taurids of nasty size around
June 5-7, and a decline in the June 30th peak, or so I'm
told, or read.
    There's a seismic trace from two stations in the URL
Darren Garrison posted. It should be possible to
approximate the energy of an impact if there was one,
but the procedures to do so are not common to
seismologists. Lots of folks at Sandia Labs or working
with nuclear bomb detection are familiar with them,
though... They could probably tell us if the impact
energy was as great as 20 kiloTons TNT, if they were
in a talking mood, since that is above detectable
limits, which much lower (2-7 kTons?). The
barometric possibilities are chancier. The energy
could be insufficient for all but local stations.
    Known meteor streams account for only a portion
of the objects that enter the atmosphere. We call the
rest "erratics," as if they were poorly behaved or not
worthy of notice, despite how numerous they are. If
we can assign them to a known group, we can more
easily hypothesize about them, but that is merely
convenient for us. In the real world, anything can
come from anywhere.
    No fallen extraterrestrial object ("meteorite") has
ever been successfully linked to a meteor stream.
None. This suggests very small rubble, dust, and
fluff make up most meteor streams. Yet there are
plentiful evidences of some very solid items in the
beta Taurids (a VW-sized object impacted on the
Moon June 5th, 1972, the greatest impact registered
by the seismic instruments left there). The problem is
that the beta Taurids are so diffuse that identifying
an object as a beta Taurid is problematic with prior
orbital data for the object.
    "The Taurid complex currently includes the Taurid
meteor stream, Comet Encke (the only known currently
active comet in the Taurid complex), "asteroids" such as
2101 Adonis and 2201 Oljato, and copious amounts
of dust. All ten of the numbered asteroids in the Taurid
complex appear to have associated meteor showers
and therefore are likely to be extinct comets
masquerading as asteroids."
    In other words, always a great candidate for the
source of any big impact at this time of year...

Sterling K. Webb