[meteorite-list] Holy crap-- can anyone confirm this? Any vikingson the list?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 10 12:44:09 2006

Hi,

    Never one to resist Olympic-level Conclusion Jumping
(I medalled), within 30 seconds of reading your post (and
Ron Ballke's), I note:

    The date: June 7
    Compare to Tunguska in date and lattitude
    In the calendar window of the betaTaurids meteor stream
    BetaTaurids are daylight fireballs (it was "daylight" there)
    Check sky over Norway (rough radiant on E horizon;
        anti-radiant on W horizon; they come both ways.)
    Check map of Norway: Finnmark northern-most county,
        lies west of north Troms county (Tromso contains
        one-third of Norway's population; way north.)
    Sounds as if fireball went west to east if seen in Finnmark
        then impacted in Troms. (Tunguska went west to east.)
    Fiddled with Melosh's on-line impact calculator, maybe
        a five foot iron or a ten-foot rock, tops, or less, but
        much less and it would never have made it to impact.
        Bigger than ten feet if less dense rock, but more likely
        to fragment. Could have started out as much bigger
        rock that did fragment.
    No doubt an utterly impossible place to look for any
        meteoritic fragments -- Artic Norway; the mountains
        are less than 1000 meters, but old glaciated terrain,
        The Reisadalen is river valley that runs from 69 deg N.
        to 69 deg 44' N between 21 E and 22 E., in case you're
        looking for it. Google Earth view is very unrevealing in,
        details, except you can get a good idea of the terrain by
        tilting the view.

    It's a national park with a website:
http://english.dirnat.no/wbch3.exe?p=3050

    Check out the county in the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troms
    I quote:
    Reisadalen ([5]) is one of the most idyllic river valleys
in Norway; from Storslett in Nordreisa the valley stretches
south-southeast, covered with birch, pine, grey alder,
and willow. The northern part of the valley is 5 km wide,
with 1000 m high mountains on both sides; the southern
part of the valley narrows to a few houndred meters
(canyon), with increasingly dry climate. The valley
floor is fairly flat with little height difference for 70 km
(to Bilto); the Reisa river can be traveled by canoe or
river boat for much of this distance. The salmon swims
90 km up the river, and some 137 different species of
birds have been observed. Several rivers cascades
down into the valley; the Mollisfossen waterfall is
269 m ([6], [7]). The valley ends 120 km southeast
of Storslett, as the vast and more barren
Finnmarsvidda plateu takes over. Reisa National Park ([8])
protects the upper part of the valley.

    If Mike Farmer is already on a plane, it'll make a great
vacation, but it doesn't sound like a great place to scratch
for meteorites...

    I hope somebody can come up with a track recontruction
for this thing and the seisomologists with an accurate impact
energy.

Sterling K. Webb