[meteorite-list] Meteorite Festival in Haviland, Kansas: July 8

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 9 12:59:12 2006

Hello Moni,

You asked, "Did you come up with the Meteorite Festival in Haviland and is
it the first?"

This is the first, but it was not my ideal.

I was one of the first to hear the mayor mention it and have stayed in
communication with members of the city since, but I think it was his ideal.
My early role was more talking with members of the town and trying to
convince them they should use the media and exposure from the find for their
advantage. Greasing the gears for the approval of money and the like.

I have also spoke with several council members of Greensburg and it's mayor
trying to promote something there as well, and was hoping both towns would
celebrate the day, but that likely will not happen. They have a freud going
on.

The strewn field is in Haviland for the most part....but Greensburg is the
neighboring town. Both towns want to build a meteorite museum and I have
been trying to promote that ideal as well. Now, does anyone thing two
meteorite museums can exist in the middle of nowhere next to each other? If
one does build a museum, I will donate some Kansas meteorites and provide
any information and the like I can.

Add a couple radio interviews, one TV interview, a program I hosted for the
Wichita Gem and Mineral Society two weekends ago (that went really well, I
will do a follow up program or two and will have a display in their annual
rock show next year)....and a new Kansas meteorite, which I will announce in
a few months or so (still haven't annouced the last one classified six
months or so ago) and it has been pretty busy Kansas meteorite period for
me.

I have been promoting Kansas meteorites and people for about three years now
so it's nice to see things are finally fruiting. All this pretty much stems
from my understanding of the Nininger method. Basically, it doesn't matter
what you say about meteorites, or what you do with meteorites. you just want
to keep hitting every outlet possible with meteorite comments, photos,
interviews, et al. Only about 1 in a 100 of Nininger newspaper articles
mentioned that he buys meteorites.

Anyway, you should give the credit to mayor Jeff Christenson or Steve
Arnold. In fact, I feel a little bad they put my name above Steve's on
their flyer they are now posting everywhere. My role in this is to serve and
promote. At the festival I will handing out brochures, showing Kansas
meteorites and explaining how to recognise a stony meteorite. In the back
of my head I will hoping someone brings me a new meteorite.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com