[meteorite-list] Satellite Reentry Witness 4

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 4 21:01:42 2006

>>The light was low on the horizon, about 10-15 degrees
above it. After a few seconds it seperated into several glowing fragments,
and then a shower of debris, all travelling at the same leisurely pace
across the sky. It was visible for about 20 seconds before it faded out. At
first I thought I had seen an aircraft breaking up in flight, but after no
aeroplane crashes were reported, it became obvious that what I had witnessed
was the re-entry of a satellite. I will never forget it, and I have not seen
another one since. I have seen many, many meteorites streak across the sky
and the slowest of those was still much faster than the re-entry that I had
witnessed. They are indeed a rare thing to behold.<<

Kevin, From what you wrote, part of me wants to think that you actually saw
a meteor and not a re-entering satellite. The reasoning is that a bright
meteor fireball that occurs low on the horizon, will appear very slow...even a
fast velocity meteor could appear very slow at that altitude. The meteor would
be very far away...something like 200 miles or more distance. The other thing
is the time duration of 20 seconds. This is well within the range of fireball
 meteor durations. You said it traveled "across the sky". If it indeed
travel across most of the sky within that time frame...then my money is definitely
on it being a meteor. It would be way too fast for it to be a re-entering
satellite. Most earthgrazing type meteors usually travel a lot faster than the
20 seconds you reported...like perhaps less than 5 seconds. Yes, reading your
words very closely, I feel confident stating that you actually saw a
fireball.
George Zay