[meteorite-list] Big Bang in Antarctica - Killer Crater Found UnderIce

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 3 13:46:51 2006

Hiya!

    The journal Nature reports on the "find" very skeptically,
dragging in the Siberian Traps, the lack of geological deformation
in nearby Antarctic mountains, the "unproven-ness" of
Chicxulub (gimme a break), the lack of any applicable dating
method, and in general sniffing at the notion like it was a dead fish:
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060529/full/060529-11.html

    The New Scientist is more reasonably skeptical, and
references an earlier article that suggests that giant impacts
cause ALL the major outbreaks of mantle plume outflows (like
The Traps) by punching through the Earth's crust, thus tying
three opposing theories (impacts, basalt floods, and poisonous
gases) together as one unified theory, satisfying the biases
of nobody and annoying pretty much everybody. Good work, guys.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9268-giant-crater-may-lie-under-antarctic-ice.html

Nice large map of the crater location (roughly 120E 70S) in this article:
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200606021451.htm

    The dating IS vague: younger than 400-500 mya (million years ago)
and older than 100 mya. Not exactly a smoking gun. But there is the
earlier publication of discoveries of excess meteoritic material in
Antarctica at the right date (250 mya), which was criticized because
they couldn't specify a crater location. And the discovery of "buckyballs"
or fullerenes from around the world with extraterrestrial gas in them at
the same date. Sounds to me like a case is being built. Slowly.

    What bothers me about the topography of the location is that we
are shown a single or simple basin that large with no signs that I can
see of further rims or arc segments of rims. A 30-mile impactor is
going to make a ring basin, not just a hole. Unless it was really
"only" a 10-mile impactor and the 300 mile arc is the outer ring
of a ring basin, which would make it only a bit bigger than
the Chicxuluber.

    But the Permian extinction is The Champ; it deserves a
Whopper of an impactor. 96% of all marine species went
bye-bye. So long to trilobites, farewell to pelycosaurs,
blastoids, acanthodians, placoderms, and the ever-popular
fusulinid foraminifera. Greatly reduced in variety and numbers
were the bryozoans, brachiopods, ammonoids, sharks,
bony fish, crinoids, eurypterids, ostracodes, and echinoderms.
For about five million years, corals disappeared from the
oceans altogether, then returned. If it was tough on sharks,
it wasn't an easy time.

    Personally, the absence of a huge crater does not affect my
notion of the likelihood of an impact at 250 mya. 70% of the globe's
area is deep ocean, and thanks to the policy of extensive Crustal
Renewal instituted by the Zargon Administration billions of years
ago, none of the submerged Crust is more than 200 million years
old. I hate an ocean cluttered with old run-down unsightly Crust,
don't you?

    You could have had a 60-mile-diameter impactor and a basin
800 miles across at 250 mya, and there wouldn't be a trace today,
if it had been in ocean. At 250 mya, the continents were still
gathered together in one premiere tourist destination known
as Gondwanaland, and the rest of the world was just ocean.
Lots and lots of ocean. East Antarctica was out at the southern-
most tip of Gondwanaland in fact, so if something hit there,
it ALMOST missed land. The fact that whatever it was so
greatly affected MARINE species may be a sort of clue,
you know. "Well, first, there was this tidal wave about ten
miles high, and then, right after that the water started to BOIL..."

    For those of us who want to see where our continents came from
and where they've been, here's a nice set of dated world maps, at
roughly 50 million year intervals, going back to 750 mya and very
readable, with present lands keyed in on the "old" continents.
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/platetec/plhist94.htm

    For those who miss having a 50-kilometer body in potentially
Earth-intercepting orbit, you'll have to make do with 1866 Sisyphus,
the largest Apollo asteroid, at 10 km, about the size of the
Chicxuluber. Unless, as some contend, it was bigger than 10 km.
Impact odds on Sisyphus are pretty nil for thousands of years,
though.

    Or you could worry about the NEA with the highest ACTUAL
chance of striking the Earth, out of all the thousands of NEA's. That
would be 1950 DA, a 1100 meter asteroid, which stands a good
shot (33%) at whacking us on March 16, 2880. Mark it on your
calendar. Put up some water and canned goods in the basement.
A bag of cookies wouldn't hurt.

Sterling K. Webb