[meteorite-list] Kerala Red Rain Was From A Comet, Study Suggests

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 2 21:49:41 2006

Darren G. agreed:

>>How do you get a comet raining down material for three months over one
city?
>>It would have to be geosynchronous (revolving once around the Earth in 24
>>hours so that is always over the same spot). For some reason, I doubt this.

>Yeah, I had that same problem with the idea.

While it is easy to be critical and even devilishly satisfying to mock this
theory, as long as we all agree that we don't agree with the proponents of
the comet idea, expend the time in those details? (except Martin, who actually
seems to be in contact with the 'researchers' and might influence positively
what is going on out there). Still, just because it is an off-the-wall
theory that seems to be in obvious trouble, it would take some more scientific
explaining to discount the possibility that the mysterious red dust entered the
atmosphere and and took a while to settle down as it combined in the
droplets. Granted, three months if that is the number sounds crazy, but wind
currents and gusts lifting it off the ground bherever it fell is an alternate to
flaming them in absentia with the "geostationary" idea. Micrometeorites take a
couple of weeks to settle.

Saludos, Doug