[meteorite-list] Metallic Rock Baffles Experts

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 23:35:32 2006

In a message dated 7/31/2006 8:40:18 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net writes:
Hi,

Can you tell that yesterday it was 100.4 F.
(previous record 98 F.) and today it's 102 F
(previous record 93 F.) with 94% humidity?
A nice day to sit in front of the computer at
a balmy 82 F (with 40% humidity) and worry
about odd metal rocks probably not from
space...

Meteorite? No way!

Is this another contest? If so, I vote for
Molybdenum. Yup, Molly Be Damned gets
my vote!

Here's the photo:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/photo/18667900_ddn0
73006mysteriousrocksp2.html

This is naturally occuring molybdenum ore:
http://www.edzone.net/~tzielask/molybdenum_-_no_label.jpg

Molybdenum metal in two states of fusion:
http://www.krdnet.com/EBAY/Galleries/october/DSCF2836.JPG
It can be quite granular.

Polished molybdenite:
http://www.mii.org/Minerals/photomoly.html

What's "Molly Be Damned" doing in Ohio?

Any real experts (not me) on The List?
-

Not me either.
But there is plenty of Molybdenum in Colorado. 2 of the largest mines are
right here, the Climax and the Henderson mines.
I even picked up a small piece on Mt Antero, very shiny, with a purple tinge.

Maybe Matt Morgan, our Colorado geologist, can come up with an explanation.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com
President, I.M.C.A. Inc.