[meteorite-list] Re: Comet: Talking Points, #1

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 09:56:12 2006

Hi Sterling, Marco, all -

I must be seeming like an incredible bore right now,
as I missed the first part of Sterling and Marco's
discussion, which appears to have been on super-nova
dust rather than cometary dust, and I hope I am not
tiring the list, but...

I just finished and have been out promoting a book on
impacts (both comet and asteroid) in the Americas:
"Man and Impact in the Americas", now available from
some bookstores through amazon. It covers the gross
evidence of impact. So...

As regards the processing of ice cores, the only
cometary markers I seem to recall (and this is
difficult since my stroke) were
1) an isotope of hydrogen which they used to identify
comets as the source of water on Mars - 3H?
2) whatever the hell signature isotopes the University
of Wurzburg team found in the Cheimgau comet core
fragments

My assumption is that this new ice core team would
have had to have put each of the ice core layers
through some kind of accelerator/collector bucket
device (huge electric bill!) to get their 3He
analysis.

As I mentioned before, I have been away, so please
excuse me for asking, but what is the date for the
BIT58 layer?

As Sterling points out, our solar system incorporated
matter from a nearby super-nova. Given the relatively
large size of the impact craters at Cheimgau, and the
small metallic fragments which were found there in
them, and these fragments isotopic analysis, I think
the U Wurzburg team actually managed to find and
demonstrate a comet impact and thus have comet core
samples.

It would appear that comets are generally composed of
aggregated cometissimals, each of which in turn have
been gravitationally differentiated, and have small
metallic cores.

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>