[meteorite-list] Ebay is ripping everybody off at least once! (OT)

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 29 22:46:30 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:06:31 -0600, you wrote:

>For someone like me that is ideal and not a bad idea since
>the item is more protected by the box and it arrives in 2-3 days.
>I dont have to worry about damage or losses and neither do other
>people who use priority mail.
>
>It is worth the cost to protect the item and arrive sooner!

My last post on this, too. It may be less "ideal" for you to pick different
shipping methods for different items, but it may be what is required if you
actually want to sell the item that you have. If you charge $4.05 to ship an
item that sells for tens or hundreds of dollars and weighs ounces or pounds,
that should reasonably be no big deal to the buyer. But if you charge $4.05 to
ship an item worth a few cents and weighing a couple of grams, then the
potential customer is going to think long and hard about buying it. Who do you
think a seller will buy the item from, even if we assume that both people charge
the same initial price? The person who puts the banknote in an envelope and
charges you 50 cents to mail it, or the person who puts it in a priority mail
box and charges $4.05? It it really "ideal" if the sale goes to the other guy
because of your excessive packaging?

>Please dont suggest I am 'cheating' just because you are bored.

You may not be cheating. But I was buying banknotes on ebay years before I
started buying meteorites, and rest assured that 99.9% of the people that are
charging several dollars to ship a single banknote ARE cheating, and anyone with
experience of cheaters will take one look at your price and assume that you are
in the 99.9% and not the .1%. If you are walking like a duck and quacking like
a duck, how is anyone who doesn't know you supposed to know that you are a guy
wearing a duck suit? RAGE against the DUCK!