[meteorite-list] Re to Darren: Comet hit Britain in mid sixth, , century, AD?

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 23 05:43:05 2006

Darren Garrison wrote:

> I'm not defending the "comet hit Britian" theory, but there CAN be a (fairly)
> widely deadly hit without leaving (much) evidence that would be visible hundreds
> of years later. Look at Tunguska. For how many miles radius would it have
> killed (either instantly or over days or weeks from internal trauma) if it had
> been over a populated area? The British Isles are pretty small-- I'm guessing
> that a Tunguska would wipe out a large percentage of the population.

Hi Darren,

A Tunguska sized blast would not result in profound effects on tree growth some
distance away from the impact, which is what is claimed here.

But if a Tunguska were to occur over the British Isles, that would not be fun
indeed for part of its inhabitants. Still the affected area would be smaller
than the British Isles. The Tunguska devastation zone is roughly some 100-140 km
wide (63-88 miles).

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek