[meteorite-list] Comet hit Britain in mid sixth, century, AD? - OT, only volcanism in this mail.

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 22 15:09:06 2006

Iceland have had some large volcanic events over it's history. The most
devastating one since the colonisation was the Laki eruption in 1783
which killed 20% of the population on Iceland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

There are no archeological evidences that Iceland was colonised earlier
than 874 AD. That date is from written records and supported by
archeological finds.

I don't know if there have been any large scale eruptions before that
date but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. The 1783 event affected
the climate of the northern hemisphere under a couple of years and might
have lowered the temperature with up to 1 degree C.
It isn't too hard to think that a large eruption could have affected the
climate and put a mark in the growth rings. But that is only a
speculation from my side without any data to back it up.

/G?ran