[meteorite-list] UK possible meteorite (but probably not)

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 10:23:37 2006

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/content/yarmouthmercury/news/story.aspx?brand=GYMOnline&category=news&tBrand=GYMonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED21%20Jul%202006%2009%3A08%3A46%3A370

Rock came out of the blue

It came from outer space - and nearly hit three Caister teenagers.

Friends Christian Baker, Liam Luxton and Jason Hewitt, all 14, were on Caister
beach at about 6.30pm on Monday when they saw a rock falling from the sky.

Christian, a Caister High School pupil, said: ?It fell quite close to us and it
was going at a high speed.

?When we picked it up it was too hot to hold for very long.?

He described the rock, now thought to be a metorite as about the size of his
palm.

?It is coloured orange and black. I am definitely going to keep it - it is
really cool.?

The meteorite now has pride of place in Christian's home, and the family are
planning to see if anyone can positively identify it.

In August 2004 Lowestoft woman Pauline Aguss, 76, was left with a gash on the
arm after being hit by a meteorite.

On average one meteorite falls every week to earth and the last significant find
in the UK was in 1991 in Peterborough.